Any questions? Please call 860-520-4001
-The student is always the borrower on a CHESLA loan. The age of majority in Connecticut is 18 years old. Thus, the student borrower must be 18 or older to take out a CHESLA loan.
-CHESLA loans allow 1 co-borrower on the loan.
-CHESLA encourages you to exhaust your financial aid, scholarship, and Direct Subsidized/Direct Unsubsidized federal student loan options before applying for a CHESLA loan.
-CHESLA loans are available for undergraduate and graduate students.
Loan Rate for the 2022-2023 Academic Year
- 5.49% Fixed Annual Rate (non-tiered, simple interest)
- Annual Percentage Rate (which accounts for any fees) is 5.49%
Low monthly payments of $4.58 per $1,000 borrowed during the in-school and 6-month grace period, and $9.69 per $1,000 borrowed during the 140-month repayment term for principal and interest
Loan Features & Terms
- Fixed interest rate loans made payable directly to the institution
- No application fee or origination fee. No fees, period!
- No application deadline
- Loans from $2,000 up to the total cost of education per academic year (less any other financial aid received), to a cumulative maximum total of $125,000
- Loans for either current or immediate prior year's educational expenses
- Principal and interest payments over an extended 140-month repayment term after the grace period ends
- No prepayment fee
- Borrower death forgiveness
- Borrower total and permanent disability forgiveness
Co-borrower release feature for loans disbursed on or after June 23, 2014
- Not available to CO or ME residents or where the terms of the co-borrower release program are otherwise prohibited under applicable law.
- Undergraduate Students: Interest-only payments are required while student is in school and for a 6-month grace period after student leaves school. Loans originated through June 2016 can stay in interest-only up to a five-year maximum. Loans originated after June 2016 can stay in interest-only up to an eight-year maximum.
- Graduate and Professional Students: May defer interest while in school and for a 6-month grace period (interest is capitalized annually)
Eligible Borrowers & Co-Borrowers
- Must be at least the age of majority or older at the time of application based on his/her state of permanent residence.
Must be a U.S. Citizen or an an Eligible Non-Citizen.
You must reside in the U.S. at the time of the application.
- Borrower must be a Connecticut resident or attending an eligible Connecticut state or non-profit, degree granting institution of higher education
- A student must be making satisfactory academic progress.
- A student or co-applicant(s) (if any) must be credit worthy, as determined by a commercial credit report.
A student or co-applicant(s) (if any) must have monthly debt payments amounting to 43% or less of monthly gross income (Debt-to-Income ratio).
NOTE: Applicants are encouraged to pay off any AMEX debt before applying. American Express typically reports the entire balance as the monthly payment, which can drastically impact your Debt-to-Income ratio.
- A student or co-applicant(s) (if any) must have a minimum $20,000 annual gross income. There is no maximum income limit.
Clicking Apply Now will leave the CHESLA website and take you to Campus Door's website to complete the loan application.
Loan Originator & Servicer Contact Information
Borrowers and schools may contact our loan originator, Campus Door for applications:
Customer Service Phone - 717-254-2395
Customer Service Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Borrowers can contact our loan servicer, UAS for account services:
University Accounting Service (UAS)